1888 comission rifle 7.92mmx57 Mauser, bolt action manufactured by Ludwig Loewe Berlin.
On the above model the barrel is marked "Ludwig Loewe Berlin" over "1891". The letter "S" is above all of that to signify the type of cartridge. Germany first used the M88 smokeless powder propelled 8mm which replaced the 11mm black powder, rimmed Mauser cartridge. The "S" (Spitzengeschoss) cartridge was adopted in 1905 and had lighter, wider bullet. On the handle bolt is the factory marking of a crown and a Prussian eagle. The left of the barrel is marked "GEW 88" in gothic letters.
Rear sling swivel.